Thursday 25 October 2012

larp as we know it....




I love to cook,whether it be for the family or friends or both. I don't always feel inspired though. Lets face it everyone at some point in time has thrown out the "What do you want for dinner?" question.

Some days thinking about what to cook comes easily, sometimes though its a struggle. To combat the wrangle in my head I make sure I have at least one staple in the fridge/freezer/pantry. Last night it was the mince staple,and together we made Larp!

Larp or Larb is a traditional Thai dish made with either chicken mince or pork mince. I'm not a stickler for rules though, so if you know your kids won't touch anything but beef mince,then who am I to argue!!
I am also NOT a well renowned chef,this has been adapted purely to suit my family tastes.( call it savoury mince if that is what floats your kids boats!)

Now traditionally this is a spicy dish, but if you refer back one step- rules shmules...spice it up at the end after serving the kids. Best not to create a burn injury before bed time (and after a glass of wine  who would drive to the local medical centre? Hmm)

So onto the recipe which is so easy you can do it with your eyes shut. Or open if again that burn factor worries you.
I also prefer to dollop and splash. I am hopeless at adhering to a written recipe and prefer to cook by taste. So if you see a dollop or a splash,dollop or splash!


Quantities for 4-add more or double if you're feeding the local footy team.
LARP
500g Chicken mince
1 Red onion-diced
1 bunch of Asapargus-cut up
1 Carrot-diced
1 cup of Peas
Handful of button mushrooms sliced
1 red Capsicum-diced
Coriander to garnish
Really any veg can be used here. I often make this to use up veg in the fridge.

DRESSING
Fish Sauce- 1 1/2 table spoons
Mint (either fresh or other although fresh is best)large handful
Sweet Chilli sauce-1 tablespoon
Brown sugar-2 teaspoon
Lime(again fresh is best but I always have a bottle of squeezy lime in the fridge!)1  tablespoon
A splash of water to mix through

METHOD
Heat a small amount of oil in a wok,add onions and mince. Stir until cooked off.
Add the veg, again stir and cook (or shake around if you want to look like a pro!)
once everything is cooked and combined add your dressing-taste and dollop and splash to suit your tastes.

you should have enough dressing to coat without drowning it :) 

serve and garnish with Coriander-EAT!




4 comments:

  1. Yum, love it! I am so making this next time i have enough energy to cook something after work. When there's only 1 to feed, cooking gets boring ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole its a great one to cook when you have no time! add or dont add what you like. You can serve with or without rice. If I add tonnes of veg I leave rice out of the equation :)

    i'll make sure I add some cooking for one recipes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, love larp .. asparagus is an interesting addition?

    I must admit, I couldn't eat it made with beef mince though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't eat it with beef mince either ;) I dont eat red meat at all.

    Asparagus is delish,I love it in anything!

    ReplyDelete

Yes comments are welcome, go on, dont be shy!